Friday, July 3, 2009

PRINCE / LOVESEXY 1988

This album when released did not catch me right away. To be truthfully honest i didn't even buy the album until almost 2 years later. Thinking back....I think the album cover kinda scared me off. Plus @ that time, The "Alphabet St" video 2 me, was a little corny too.
This was a period of revolution 4 me as well, cuz' Public Enemy stormed out, NWA was hot, Ice T was hot, BDP, BIg daddy Kane, Rakim, I can go on and on. And basically, my focus went there.
So essentially, "Lovesexy" was a slow starter 4 me.

So here's another story of course behind this one.....Prince works up an album titled "The Black Album" in essence to keep up with whats goin on in radio @ that time, which was basically hip-hop. And the songs basically are hard driven funk, very explicit lyrics, and some of the most courageous music he supposed 2 put out @ this point. Copies were pressed and ready to ship out with the single"When 2 r in love" already playing on radio. Prince pulls a fast one, and decides @ the last minute that this album was too dark and afraid of the concequences. Completely doing a 360 with a more spiritual, uplifting album focusing on love, purity, getting rid of the evils in your life and so forth.
Thus became "Lovesexy".
Concept was pretty cool, now that i look back on it and personally not one of my favorite albums, I do like the musicianship more than anything on this album. The band is totaly revamped adding Sheila E on drums. And of course it wouldnt be complete without another image change right? I think this was Prince's worst look though.(totally didnt feel the writing on the clothes, and the whole colorful apparel)
And the tour that accompanied the album was to be his biggest and most expensive tour ever, including a 68 thunderbird, a basketball court, and other different props on stage that were costly. And the tour was split in 2 different Acts. One act with the more funk, and rock songs, and the other act with the love, and spiritual songs. This was one of the concerts I wish i could have gone 2 but didnt, after seeing the actual VHS copy many years ago it was indeed off the hook : ) .

So even now 2 this day, I do occasionaly go back to Lovesexy, when i want 2 hear certain songs. The 1 thing that pisses me off, and i'm sure others have the same problem with this cd is that it is functioned as a continual track, meaning all 9 songs are under 1 track. The most strangest thing ever, But it was Prince's attempt 2 make the listener listen to the whole album concept in it's entirety. Problem is i dont wanna hear it all the way through.

Also note this album marked the start of decline in his sales as well, making it one of his weakest efforts to date.

Standouts here are "Anna Stesia", "I wish u Heaven", and "When 2 r in love"(which was the only track leftover from the "black abum" sessions used on this album)

No comments:

Post a Comment